BI - Business Intelligence
Grundläggande nivå - First cycle course
Data appears in large volumes in several business applications. Analysing and making sense out of this data is crucial. This course provides the theoretical background as well as hands-on experience on how to apply different knowledge discovery and decision making in several sectors of business intelligence, such as financial data series modelling and customer behaviour analysis.
After completing this course the student should be able to:
- explain the basic concepts and methods in business intelligence and the areas of decision support, data mining and artificial intelligence that can be used in business,
- explain the characteristics of and relationships between the basic concepts of business intelligence and the areas of decision support, data mining and artificial intelligence that can be used in business,
- see how simple problems can be modeled and solved using methods from the decision support, data mining and business intelligence relevant areas,
- apply the methods of decision support, data mining and business intelligence to relevant areas.
The course is intended for students who are interested in theoretical and practical aspects of business intelligence and decision support systems. The course includes the basic theoretical background and some interesting applications of data mining and decision support tool that can be used in business.
With a focus on business intelligence and decision support the subjects to be covered in the course include:
- Business modelling
- The Cross-Industry Standard Process for Business Analytics
- Decision support systems and decision making
- Data mining: predictive and descriptive modeling
- Model evaluation
- Time series
- Game theory for business
- Social media
The course is given as a distance course.