Strategic IT Management
Advanced level - Second cycle course
90 hp Computer and Systems Sciences
Today the business environment is a very competitive one that requires the managers to rethink the role that IT is playing in their organisations. To face this high competition on the market the managers are thinking about using IT strategically in their organisations. For this purpose they will need to have knowledge about strategic planning of IT resources to achieve organizations objectives and also about how to generate business value from IT investments and the use of IT to create competitive advantage.
• Analyse the IT strategy and the way it supports the organisational and business strategy in an organisation
• Assess the strategic alignment maturity in an organisation.
• Analyse the IT impact on business operations and business strategy in an organisation.
• Explain the IT architecture and infrastructure importance in support of business strategy, the IT architecture types and principles, and the managerial considerations in designing an IT architecture.
• Describe the core activities of an IT organisation and the Chief Information Officer role and responsibilities in an organisation.
• Explain the methods used for valuing and monitoring the IT investments and funding IT resources.
• Explain the IT governance concept, archetypes for IT decisions, decision making mechanisms and governance frameworks for control decisions.
• Explain the sourcing decision cycle framework with insourcing and outsourcing.
• Explain the findings of different research studies in strategic IT management.
• Linking systems to strategy and the organisation
• Strategic use of information resources in a global economy
• IT strategy, Strategic alignment maturity and IT strategic grid
• Organisational strategy
• Information systems strategy: architecture and infrastructure
• Cost recovery of information systems
• Governance of information systems organisation
• Sourcing information systems
The total number of hours of the activities in this course is 40 (14 hours for lectures and 24 hours for seminars and team project). The lectures, seminars and team project tutorials will be held in English.